Scotland’s Referendum isn’t about two different destinations; It’s a fork in the road. It’s about the nation we are, and the nation we want to be.
Social Welfare doesn’t just mean benefits. It’s about the health of our society, and how we treat those who need support the most. One of the main roles of the state and its government is to protect the elderly, disabled, unemployed and others from suffering because of unfortunate circumstances. With Tories at Westminster determined to remove a great deal of that support and the Scottish Government working hard to protect it, it’s clear that Scots are better placed to look after our own social welfare. That’s why we need independence.
Vote Yes for fairer social welfare
- Polling suggests that most people in Scotland want to see us go our own way on welfare and benefits
- The Scottish Parliament has voted against Westminster’s welfare plans that punish and demoralise the most vulnerable members of society
- We’ve proved that we can make progress with the powers we have, with free personal care for the elderly and free prescriptions
- Scotland could focus on growth, rather than austerity – getting people off welfare and into jobs
- Independence would give us the powers we need to create and fund a welfare system built on compassion, not compulsion
Vote No for social welfare cuts
- All three main Westminster parties support punitive welfare policies that do more damage than good
- Each of those parties also want to let the private sector take over much of our national welfare system – just look at the NHS in England
- The Tory-led government is making or planning to make huge cuts to welfare for young people, old people, disabled people – well, anyone who needs it, really
- The unnecessary scale of Westminster’s austerity measures means Scotland will find it harder and harder to fund our more progressive welfare system
- In the union, vulnerable Scots are trapped in a welfare system that forces them into unpaid work when they can’t find a job in a stagnant economy
Visual Artist and Blogger